Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Forget ranks & marks, life is more important

My wife told me yesterday that one of her juniors decided to end her life because she could not get a good rank in the All India PG entrance exam for medicine. Whatever I had written earlier in http://deeplyrandom.blogspot.com/2007/12/is-good-academic-record-over-rated.html seems worth repeating.

Apparently this girl was a rank holder in SSLC. I am assuming she was under fair bit of peer pressure. But come on, a failure in an exam, that is reason enough to end a human life ? I simply cannot understand this. Such a waste of talent . All for what, a good rank , good marks ? What will that get you in life ?

And why bother so much ? Marks and ranks are in no way a measure of your intelligence or abilities anyway . Any idiot can score great marks. From my personal experience, I can tell you that it requires no special skill.

I feel so frustrated when I hear news like these. When will our academic system ever get out of this mode of marks and ranks ? I really fear for the future of the next generation. I hope I am a good enough parent never to let these pressures get to my daughter.
Time will tell, I guess.

No comments: