Sunday, February 17, 2008

Which type of wedding do you like ?

I was having a conversation with some of my North Indian friends some months back on the differences in marriage ceremonies between North and South India. I was of the opinion that North Indian weddings look more like a circus and lack dignity. Needless to say my comments were not very well received .

But I do think that the marriage ceremony that I went through was pretty nice. The whole church service was very short, to the point and meaningful. Is there something more beautiful than the exchange of vows ? I don't know ..

" I, Pradeep, Take you, Padmini, to be my wife, To have and to hold from this day forward;
For better, for worse;
For richer, for poorer;
In sickness and in health;
To love, cherish, and protect, till death us do part, According to God’s holy law;
And to this I give you my pledge."

I did look into my wife's eyes when I said this. She did not look back though :-))

And one more thing. There is a point in the ceremony when the pastor asks the congregation if anyone has any objection to this marriage taking place. Boy, does your heart start pounding in the 10 second silence that follows !!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't this be more wedding than marriage?? :)

btw, i do beleive the typical Xstian ceremony is beautiful if done well and sincerely ; but if you are Syrian the function is a lot of mumbo jumbo..
-C