Sunday, February 24, 2008

Musings of a volunteer

If you have read some of my earlier blogs, you would know that I volunteer time on weekends for a cause that I believe in. Several people have asked me in the past on why I continue to volunteer .

In reality, I do not have any convincing answer to offer. In fact my answers to this question vary from time to time. I know India is a country of more than a billion, whatever tiny bit that I do is unlikely to cause any big change. I know that my work will go unappreciated and unnoticed by 99.999999% of Indian population. No one is going to turn and pat me on the back or encourage me to keep doing this.

But I do it anyway. I do not have a reason , nor I do I have inspiring words to share with you. One lousy reason that I always tell people is that "I do it because I do not have anything else to do on weekends "

I know of several people who can reel out list after list of perfectly logical , reasonable and believable excuses on why they could not spare couple of hours on a weekend. I know of people who can eloquently speak tons of words on passion and commitment , yet time and again refuse to walk this talk.

One lousy reason on why I do it Vs 10 convincing reasons on why you cannot do it .

Take your pick, what would you choose ?

No comments: