Saturday, February 23, 2008

Bake a cake : version 2

After my miserable previous attempt , I made another go at baking a cake yesterday. This time armed with a professional recipe from a "self proclaimed" professional cook.

One of the key improvements noticed with the new recipe was that this cake had a nice smell while baking, my earlier attempt almost stank up my kitchen while in oven.

Well apart from that the miseries continued. The cake rose up and was almost sticking out of my cake tin by a good inch and a half. Even after 50 minutes of baking, the insides were undercooked. I could not put in the oven any longer as the top surface was almost black in color by then. Took me couple of hours to set everything up. And of course, the pathetic end result had my in-famous temper on the boil again.

My professional cook has suggested to me that probably I had too small a cake tin. My question is , why is the cake tin size not mentioned as part of the recipe ? :)

Whatever was not burnt or undercooked did taste good though. I am an optimist when it comes to cooking , as you can make out from my never ending series of past attempts.

They say "You can't have your cake and eat it too" . If the cake is made by me, probably there is no way you want to eat it anyway :-((

2 comments:

Such is Life said...

The post on V3 must include an unconditional apology to the remote chef... huh!!!!

ps.. pro chef expected a post grad engr to be abe to judge the thermal effects on baking powder :)

Unknown said...

How about getting the v4 to office :-)