Friday, July 4, 2008

The cook returns

After the stellar success of Aloo paratha, I had some recent discussions with my consultant on what else can be achieved. We discussed 4-5 options , each of the recipes went like this

"Take chilly powder, green chilly, mango powder, coriander, onions"
"Take green chillies, onions, potato, mango powder , chilly powder"
"Take onions, potato, green chillies, coriander powder , mango powder"

You sort of get the drift don't you ? My head started spinning like a top trying to work out the subtle differences. Vague qualitative answers did not help one bit either. Take in the following conversation, Con is short for consultant, no pun intended :-)

Me  : How much coriander powder should I add ?
Con : A little less than Chilly powder but more than Mango powder 
Me  : Hmmmm .... So how much Chilly powder ?
Con : Well, it has to be slightly less than the salt
Me  : What ???? How much salt do I add ?
Con : Depends
Me  : #&^%#$#)#$(#*

Well, the last response of mine is imaginary, I don't swear in real life :-). Rest all is true !!

Finally after some effort , we narrowed down the choice to the fairly innocent looking cousin of Aloo paratha , The Onion Paratha. Apparently, there is nothing to it, instead of using aloo, just use more onions and make the stuff.

Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

For starters, rolling it is a heck of lot more trickier than aloo paratha, but my technique has become very polished with time. So I tackled that hurdle ok. But boy, what happened to the taste ?? It was some of the most horrendous tasting stuff that I ever made. I am pretty sure, some ingredients have been conveniently 'forgotten' by the consultant again.

Hunger forced me to eat two parathas anyway, just could not bring myself to finish the third one, had to throw it out :-((

Another case of a talented cook led astray by poor advice, I must say :-)

No comments: