Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cricket !!

An inter-lab cricket tournament is fast approaching. Due to the severe talent crunch in our lab, many old warhorses like me have been forced to return from retirement.

Believe me, when I say I have been called to play for a cricket team ( I don't care what team, could be a team of 4 year olds ), you can bet your life that someone is really desperate for people to make up the 11. Rule of the thumb is as the degree of movement involved in the sport goes up, my skill level goes down exponentially. I can manage quite well in carrom, I can kick some rear-sides in 8 ball pool. But soccer and cricket ?? Hmmmm. Let us say that I am a bit motion challenged .....

We had a practice session today. I started of by attempting to bowl fast for the first couple of deliveries. A creaking shoulder and knee resulted in me settling down for gentle medium pace instead. Stinkingly low fitness levels resulted in off/leg spin variations after a few more deliveries :-). Did experience some direction related issues while bowling, often my deliveries were up to a quarter radian from the intended target . In my defense, I must say I am not alone, our  whole team uniformly sucks in this department

My batting philosophy has always been pretty simple. Swing the bat with all your might in a wide arc. Depending at what point of arc I make contact, results vary from clean bowled to leading edge to sixer.

Feeling tired after the physical activity, I am sure I will sleep well tonight. Also a pointer for me on how to over come my sleep problems !! A pointer that I am sure I will ignore. Why, you may ask ? welll..............

No comments: