Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The final goodbye

My four year association with Each One Teach One ( EOTO ) is coming to an end this weekend. The NGO is facing severe funding issues and would not longer be able to pay the rent that is required to keep the center open. It is a sad moment for me personally. I had really enjoyed working with the students.

It is tough to find a silver lining when faced with such bad news. Looking back over the past four years, I realize that I was indeed really blessed
Blessed because I had this opportunity to make a difference to the lives of so many students
Blessed because I met one of the most special persons I have come across in my entire life, Mrs. Kusum Manchanda from EOTO. The one person from which I understood the meaning of commitment and passion
Blessed because I had a chance to work with so many different volunteers, each of them who have taught me something new
Blessed because I no longer look at life and complain so much. I know now there are others who would give an arm and a leg to enjoy the priveleged life that I live.
And blessed because every once in a while a past student walks up to me , looks me in the eye and tells me "Sir, you have made a difference to my life". You can take away my salary, take away all my medals and rank certificates, I would exchange them anyday for a comment like that from my students.

The only thing that I console myself is that I am convinced I gave it my all during these years. I never held back, never said no to a chance to volunteer and never let my students down. To quote the bible - I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

However when one door closes, several others open. We have been fortunate enough to get another like minded group to start a similar computer education initiative at a different location.

A sense of personal loss remains though, I still wonder if things would be the same again.

Adios, EOTO. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: