Friday, January 30, 2009

Chief Driving Mentor

Got a slight promotion from my driver role. I am elevated to a driving mentor / co-passenger now. That is someone who just sits helplessly in front seat, seeing his life flash right in front of his eyes as his friend wrestles with the controls of a Maruti Suzuki Swift.

Stall , jump and jerk, stall, near miss on a 2 wheeler, pedestrian crossing , brake , brake , brake , BRAAAAKKKKKEEEEEEE ... Sweat pouring off me as if I am running a marathon in 40 deg C heat. Even 30 minutes of intense cardio workout won't push up your heart rate as high as this !!

Why do you do this, did I hear you ask ?

Research is my career, high risk-low return projects are my bread and butter :-))

Read the following excerpt from A few good men, the conversation would not be entirely out of place between me and my friend.

Jessep: Have you ever put your life in another mans hands, and in return, asked him to put his life in yours?
Kaffee: No Sir.
Jessep: We follow orders, we follow orders or people die, it's that simple. Are we clear?
Kaffee: Yes, Sir.
Jessep: Are we clear!
Kaffee: Crystal.

The orders here would of course my commands to stop, turn, brake etc which are almost always ignored. As you can guess, I do not get the responses that Kaffee gives above :-((

According to historical Indian traditions, Indian females never drove Maruti Swifts, maybe there is an opportunity for Sriram Sena to step in and do their bit and save me !!  [ One point troubles me about the entire Sriram Sena episode. Traditionally Indian men too never visited pubs, because there were no pubs back then !! How come no one wants to bash up the pub going men ? I guess that argument is futile. They say never fight with a pig, you will get more and more dirty and pig will just keep loving it ]

Will I survive this shock treatment ? Stay tuned to find out :-)

No comments: