Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Definitions and character building


I remember this passage from my high school biology text “Asthma is a disease characterized by a sudden inhalation followed by difficulty in exhalation”.

What this does not tell you is that during a particularly bad and prolonged attack, life can seem very dark and gloomy indeed. If you don’t know where your next breath is coming from, you pretty much are forced to have a short term outlook :-)Thank god for inhalers, which have more or less ensured that those prolonged spells are nothing but bad memories !!

I also saw the following statement from Center for Disease Control(CDC) website “In most cases, we don't know what causes asthma, and we don't know how to cure it”. Pretty hopeless, don’t you think ? ;-)

All this classic Bangalore cold weather and my own chest congestion has put me in soup again.

Though like Calvin’s father, I would say Asthma builds character !! It teaches you the value of patience and it makes you understand the virtues of having an unflappable temperament.

Do you know another thing it teaches ?? The most important thing in your life is the next breath that you take in !!

Breathe in, Breathe out . My life continues ….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is supposed to teach you unflappable temparement!!! Not seen much evidence of it so far ;)

but seriously - get well soon vadi.. told ya.. try my rasam!!:)
-C

Pradeep V said...

Temperament has started flapping around in the strong Bangalore wind :-)

Getting better, still struggling quite a bit though.