Monday, August 4, 2008

Working from home

Got scared of the office AC's influence on my Asthma, do decided to work from home today. Actually was a very nice experience, managed to get more work done at home than in office. Which in itself is not saying much , but let us not get there.

I kept the TV news on in the background just so that I do not feel very lonely. Could not help overhearing this whole abortion case that is going on now. The question being asked was whether the would be parents have the right to terminate the pregnancy of their child who has been diagnosed with congenital heart disease beyond the legally allowed limit of 20 weeks of pregnancy.

I firmly believe nothing of that sort should be allowed provided there is no threat to the mother's life.
Where do we stop if allow things like these ? Are we trying to imply that only the healthy babies have a right to live in this world ?
Should we kill all the babies who are unhealthy ? 
How can you or me or a doctor reliably predict if the baby will have a health problem after birth ? Why don't we start playing God and allow killings of everyone who has a disability from now on ?

In my book, willing termination of a pregnancy based on guesswork like this is nothing short of murder. I dare you to look into the eyes of a baby and tell me otherwise. Unfortunately , as per the polls not a lot of people share this opinion. Most of the respondent might have never been parents is my only guess.

I know there are lots of other issues involved like difficulties for the child, trauma for the parents, costs of treatment etc. If you are a parent, you should never ever ever give up on their children. I am happy to see our court has stepped up and said no to this abortion, according to me that is the way it has to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

still pretending to WFH????

just kidding.. take care.. have fun!
-C