Saturday, February 5, 2011

Omen


Ever woke up one day with an unwavering feeling that something bad was going to happen that day ? Well, I did, happened to me last Thursday. From the moment I got up , I had this extremely tight feeling around my chest. Wifey tried to assure me that ‘All is well’ but the feeling would not go away.

Later in the day, it turned out that the feeling was not entirely misplaced.

I was crossing the outer ring road in my car, cutting perpendicularly across two lanes of traffic at a junction to move to the other side of the divider. I saw a Chevrolet Travera stopped just before the intersection, the driver was asking directions to someone standing by the divider. I took my car forward and just when I was about to pass in front of the Travera, the driver decided that he knew enough about the directions and accelerated forward. And of course he was not looking at the road, he was still making some parting comments to the guy on the divider.

All I could do was brake hard and honk at full blast, almost willing the guy to turn and look at the road. He turned almost in slow motion and thankfully jumped on the brake immediately. His front bumper missed my driver side door by no more than 5 cms. Half a second more, he would have ploughed right into me. Saved by God’s grace, no less !!!

Slept like a baby that night, woke up around 3 a.m to the sound of a female voice calling out my name and knocking on the door. Woke up with a start and listened more carefully. Nothing at all. Maybe it was just a dream, or is it a bad omen again ??

I think I have been reading too many thrillers of late, time to get back into non-fiction !!

No comments: