Sunday, April 18, 2010

When everything else fails …


…………… try reading. Always a good remedy to unwind and relax. Especially when a weekend looms where friends are unreachable or unresponsive. Everyone has their own lives to live, which is why books are such a reliable backup.

Well, let me try and recap my last 3 books. First was 2 states : The story of my marriage by Chetan Bhagat. Contains plenty of pot shots at Tamilians, with a few unkind portrayals of Punjabis too thrown in. But overall he is not far from truth. There is very little in common between North and South, however hard you may try to prove otherwise. The book is very light to read and reasonably entertaining.

Another one that I read was Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton ( may his soul R-I-P). Quite a deviation from the usual science thrillers that he writes. Story of a band of pirates around 17th century. For me it is more of a portrayal of super-heroes who are indestructible.  Pretty weak by Crichton’s standards. Not a bad read, but not a recommended one by me for sure

Most recent one was Arvind Adiga’s - Between Assassinations. Quite well written, very simple stories. There is an underlying anger or frustration that comes through in each one of them. I am yet to read the 2008 Man Booker prize winner – The White Tiger, I am  tempted to after this book.

There seems to be quite a lot of very good Indian authors around. I must read more of them.

No comments: