Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finally mastered


Puttu-Cherupayar curry has long been in my list of items that I wanted to master. Casual readers of my blog might remember that I had not exactly covered myself in glory during my fist attempt

Every subsequent try, I was somewhere within the ball park. Either the flavor of the curry would go missing. Or the Puttu would either be in complete powder form or a sticky gluey mass.

After numerous trial and errors and consultations with domain experts, I can finally declare a Level-1 mastery on this topic !!

Puttu , I have realized is almost all about the water content in the flour. Too much and you have a lumpy solid mass, too less and it crumbles off to powder. Steaming time is also an important factor, but this is relatively easier to gauge. 
Cherupayar curry flavor comes almost exclusively from the ground coconut-cumin seed paste. Plus the seasoning with curry leaves, mustard and red chilies helps a lot !!

See the mouth watering samples below. This time I loved the taste myself :-)

DSC00238 DSC00239 DSC00240

No comments: