Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kheer / Payasam attempt


Last Sunday was the so called ‘Friendship day’. The sheer variety of these “days” never ceases to amaze me. Father’s day, mother’s day, valentine’s day, friendship day ….

And tomorrow happens to be the day every single Indian male dreads : Raksha bandhan !! Thankfully this one has been never a big celebration in South India ;-)

A weekend experiment in payasam (kheer) landed in predictable disaster and violent temper surges. :-((

It started off quite well, the semiya payasam was smelling good and consistency seemed decent. I had a cup after making it and it tasted quite good.

But once I left if outside for couple of hours, the semiya somehow seemed to absorb lot of the liquid. The end result was a near solid lumpy mass.I tried to rescue the situation by adding more milk and boiling it further. That worked like a charm for a while. Only problem was that it returned to its original solid state once I refrigerated it. &*#&@

It just refused to return to a liquid form even after I heated it. The re-heating attempt happened late at night when I was already pretty hungry. So naturally I was on a short fuse and violently dumped the solid payasam down my garbage bin.

Yet another experiment bites the dust. I guess next time I should remember not to let the milk thicken so much …..

No comments: