Monday, November 8, 2010

The festival of lights


Diwali, Deepavali, Devali .. whatever you want to call it. Festival of lights, that is what I am talking about.

The whole country is taken over by decorative lights, crackers, fireworks, festivities, sweets ……….. Except the state of Kerala, that is. Well, there is a token celebration, but none of the color or excitement that you would see anywhere else.

I wonder why is that ??

I saw some theories floating around on the net. One of them being that Onam and Deepavali are celebrated almost along similar lines and since Onam has more regional roots, it has prevailed. Maybe that is true. Onam does have its own charm, but ever since I have been in Bangalore, I have begun to love the colors and life of Diwali.

It just seems to be a happy and bright festival, nothing much can be wrong with that !!

No comments: